Sunday, April 03, 2005

This is the valley. Marcellus ain't got no friendly places in 818.

MUSIC: pixeltan - Get Up/Say What

So first things first, my review of Sin City: fucking awesome.

Now that that's outta the way, I'll tell y'all about my Vulgarthon '05 experience...but first a pic of the Kevin Smith Wizardwolrd 2005 exclusive Inaction Figure to set the mood:
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Woke up early Monday morning after only about 6 hours of sleep the night before. Stopped off at Starbucks for coffee/croissant and saw something I'm pretty sure is exclusive to LA, NY, and Chicago (at least I pray it is): a line...a fucking line out the front door. It's just coffee, people! Overpriced normal-assed coffee!
Make it to the theater around 8:30 to another line:
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
and that's only about half of it I think. There were 850 people total, not an empty seat in the joint. Waiting in line wasn't so bad though, courtesy of the PSP. I've had mine for just over a month now, but it wasn't until last Thursday when I got Lumines that the beauty of this thing really became clear. And it makes lines go faster than ever. I loves me my PSP.
Reid(my roommate) shows up soon after I arrive and we make fun of our fellow nerds, including one guy with a revolutionary-era tricorner hat. Not sure what that was all about. As we make our way closer to the door, we see the marquee they'd posted for the day:
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
and a pretty funny billboard(for shampoo I think) across the street at Sunset and Vine:
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Getting closer, we see Jason Mewes(Jay, far left with his back to the camera) and Kevin(Silent Bob himself) slapping the wristbands on people that were to be the passes for the day:
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
So we go inside and are in our seats around 9:30, then kill time with some head-to-head Lumines...and granted Reid had only had the thing for a couple days, but it was no challenge. I have yet to find my match at this game:)
Kevin comes to the front around 10 and says that since we're on a tight schedule and there's 5(!) films plus Q&A's to do, that it's time to get the ball rolling. First off is Big Helium Dog, which is freakin hysterical. Michael Ian Black (of The State) is featured prominantly as a narrator character, talking about the movie-within-the-movie that's also called Big Helim Dog. Confused you say? Yeah, but it makes sense. It basically sketch comedy loosely framed by a story of a guy's best friend dying and him trying to cope with it...you know, typical comedy subject matter. The best way to describe it is a low budget, but funnier, Kentucky Fried Movie. After the flick, the writer/director(Bryan Lynch) and a few of the actors come up front for some Q&A. Lynch is a very funny guy...I hope he gets to do some more widely-seen projects in the future, because as it stands, BHD is his only feature and it's not even available on DVD yet...and the damn thing was made almost ten years ago.

Ok, it's off to sleep for me. Tune in next time for more Vulgarity...and a few more pics...

PS, I am currently addicted to Lady Sovereign's song Random. Cop it here(courtesy of boomselection). She was on the remix of Fit But You Know It(Cranberry holders know what I'm talking about). This girl is gonna blow up, you watch.

PPS, Mr. James Hyman emailed me asking not to post the Tarantino Mashup mix anywhere. I'm serious. I don't know how, when, or why, but he must've seen my blog. So I am complying with his request and am instead instructing you to visit his site to obtain said CD.

Til next time,
I'm illaphilla and you're not.

1 Comments:

At 4/07/2005 9:20 PM, Blogger John said...

nice shootin', tex.

very nice pics.

j. "the flowers are still standing" hickman

 

Post a Comment

<< Home